Tipping

So I'm a pretty lousy tipper-- if I get a bad waiter, I often tip under 15%, or sometimes I just unload all my coins instead of putting down that last dollar.

But I'm definitely gonna be more mindful about tipping properly in the future, after having read this blog post on how tips are handled: http://open.salon.com/blog/michael_procopio/2009/02/19/tipping_down_and_out 

A quick summary of why 15% is a minumum and not a suggestion: A server has to "tip out" to the other members of the restaurant staff, which means that he or she must redistribute a portion of the money that he or she earns from tips. Often, the amount of money that the server gives to the busboy and other members of the support team depends on the cost of the meal, not the gratuity paid on the meal. Furthermore, there's a TAX on tips, which is always 8% of a meal's cost. In the end, if you tip less than 15%, the waiter may lose money. 

Feeling guilty now?

10 comments:

jnub said...

Tbh, not really >_>

I read the blog post, and the whole time I was wondering, well, how much do the manager/owner make? Feynman said it well: "We shouldn't get more tips, we should be PAID MORE".

Frankly, this flat rate at which the servers pay their colleagues is BS. Tips should be just that, legitimate tips given for waiting. Apart from this, you should be able to tip for various aspects of the meal, and those tips should reach the intended people. Pooling this money in any way is ridiculous, and if you want the people to make more money, raise the prices.

Obviously I am biased here, but it seems to me that instead of kow-towing to a broken system, we should get it fixed >_>

Lukech said...

But since you're clearly not actually even intending to fix it during your lifetime, you're just gonna give waiters really shitty tips just so that you won't be "kow-towing" to the system?

If I were keeyoung, I'd say: "ur dumb."

jnub said...

Wait, but why would I not be intending to fix it? Obviously not atm, I am in no position to do anything from where I am, but I certainly do intend to fix it when I can......

Lukech said...

ok, i bet you 100 dollars that by the time you die, you won't have done a thing to change the way tips are distributed at restaurants.

WaitingForGodot said...

There's an interesting conversation at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs about tipping.

But yeah, waiters can also be paid below minimum wage (iirc) because owners expect them to be profiting off of tips.

Ved Base said...

Yeah I just knew I'd see arvind here >_>

jnub said...

I don't forget bets, luke =P

Lukech said...

ok, we'll have to define "won't have done a thing" more precisely and also put this in writing and sign it.

this bet is heavily in your favor, btw, since I can only collect my 100 when you die.

WaitingForGodot said...

From what I rememember, Arvind, you make some pretty terrible bets =p

Renjie You said...

I somehow always lose bets to Arvind though.

I swear I've lost 4 or 5 and won 0 or 1. I actually can't remember any that I've won.

Post a Comment

 

The Obscure Aperture Design by Insight © 2009