Smoke


My photography teacher assigned a project on permanence/impermanence. My response: "Oh sweet, I should photograph smoke. That would be cool. And it would fit the theme so well."

Well, smoke is not so easy to photograph. Especially since I can't do off-camera flash. But after an hour, about 10 matches, and one incense stick, here are some results. If I were to give myself a grade, though, it would be a C or a D:





Here is an A+ (done by some other photographer):

5 comments:

jennypwns said...

not as awesome or pro as the picture you sent me
BUT STILL PRETTY AWESOME

omg i never knew smoke looked so cool! XD

L said...

Psh, you're being too hard on yourself. Other than some composition issues, those colors and textures are AWESOME. (Out of curiosity, what ISO did you shoot at? Cuz I always have noise issues...)

And also: DUUUDE. Graham Jefferey. The last photo is a Graham Jefferey photo. I used to follow his Sensitive Light blog.

frostedlilies said...

Wow, the colors are really pretty. :)

In other much less interesting far more depressing and only tangentially related news, I was walking through the yard today under my umbrella when I noticed a person walking by who blew out great plumes of breath into the cold air. I got excited and tried to do it myself, and it was certainly cold enough to watch my breath flow out, but all I got were a few puffs. And then my nose made me realize that the person walking by was smoking, and I was disappointed.

Lukech said...

@ L: haha the smoke blew around every which way, so half of my pictures were pitch black and the other half had terrible composition. (XD) Also... the first picture is artificially colored <_< hahaha. Oh and I shot at ISO 800 and then did *very* aggressive noise reduction in Photoshop. I would've shot at ISO 100 and a faster shutter speed if I had better lighting equipment. Oh well...

@ Lily: haha "in other much less interesting...news" made me XD.

I always note the first day of autumn on which I can see my breath. When I was in elementary school, I'd have competitions with the kids at my bus stop to see who could breath out the most "smoke". I'd always hold my breath in for like 30 seconds to let the air in my lungs warm up and then do a huuge exhale. ^ ^

Movies about life said...

can you catch a water balloon exploding?

Post a Comment

 

The Obscure Aperture Design by Insight © 2009